Marketing in a recession
Learn how marketing must change in a recession-affected world, and how your messaging can not only make or break your business.
About this Event
Level : Beginner
Thursday, 13 August 2020
WA: 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM (AWST)
NT: 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (ACST)
QLD: 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM (AEST)
Civil rights activist and poet, Maya Angelou once stated, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
This is no more true than in marketing and advertising. We can all recall some ad or campaign that just felt wrong. Turning something tragic into a joke, attempting to profit off people’s hardship, and using economic conditions to make a joke can come off as utterly “tone deaf” to potential customers. Even if it feels funny to you and your team, you need to remember that those customers will never forget how you made them feel at a time of challenge.
In this session, co-presented with the latest materials from the Australian Marketing Institute, we will be looking at how marketing must change in a COVID-affected world, and how your messaging can not only make or break your business now, but can have lasting effects on your message to customers for many years to come.
In this session you will:
– Work through a list of common themes to avoid right now
– Look at how to be relevant to the times without resorting to “jingoism”
– Run through a list of the worst-offenders when it comes to text and cliches in ads
– Work at some real-life examples of attendees and their marketing messaging
– See how to apply these principles to your social media, emails, newsletter and advertising
This workshop is brought to you by Business Station and AusIndustry under the ASBAS Digital Solutions Program
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Dante St James has worked in marketing-related roles as well as his own marketing businesses for over two decades. In that time he has accumulated over 80 individual certifications and qualifications in marketing, business and digital technologies.
As a member of the Australian Marketing Institute and Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK), Dante continues to undertake professional development and train-the-trainer modules that bring him the most up-to-date approaches to marketing. This module has been provided by the Chartered Institute of Marketing and contains research performed as recently as May 2020.
Our Latest Articles
- Welcome to our July 2021 Newsletter – Director’s Note
- Welcome to our May 2021 Newsletter – Director’s Note
- Welcome to our April 2021 Newsletter – Director’s Note
- Welcome to our March 2021 Newsletter – Director’s Note
- Welcome to our February 2021 Newsletter – Director’s Note
- A critical marketing tool, you are ignoring, with a simple fix.
- Working together the big theme of OBM Alice Springs
- Diversity, energy and tourism on the agenda in Tennant Creek
- Nhulunbuy event leads with key messages for local business
- How you make your website work better on mobiles