Starting a business during a recession
“Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity not a threat.” – Steve Jobs
Level : Beginner
Monday, 24 August 2020
WA: 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM (AWST)
NT: 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM (ACST)
QLD: 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM (AEST)
“Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity – not a threat.”
Those words from Steve Jobs on his return to Apple after being booted from the board years earlier marked a huge change in his approach to innovation. It led him to essentially restart Apple during a worldwide economic downturn, changing it from a staid old computer company to something very fresh and very different.
In fact, Apple is far from alone in this. Many of the world’s most successful companies started during recessions. General Motors, Hewlett Packard, Burger King, Hyatt Hotels, Microsoft, Mailchimp, Uber, AirBnB and Square were all products of hard economic times.
So what made them grow when others in their industry were falling behind?
In this webinar you will learn:
- The common markers of successful recession start-ups
- The potential pitfalls of starting up during a recession
- How to avoid the pitfalls and take advantage of the opportunities
- Some examples of successful recession startups and how they found their niche
This workshop is brought to you by Business Station and AusIndustry under the ASBAS Digital Solutions Program
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Apart from being a trainer with Facebook and Google’s Digital Springboard program, Dante St James works closely with startups in the Northern Territory via the NT Government’s Business Innovation Program. This program helps fund and mentor startups by connecting them with consultants and skilled professionals who can help them commercialise their concepts and take them to market. Dante has now successfully helped 2 mobile apps and 3 eCommerce startups to market in northern Australia and is currently working on another 3 startups that are at the point of commercialisation.
Our Latest Articles
- Entrepreneur of the Month – Julie Overell
- August webinars now ready for bookings
- Shifting our business online
- Emerging Markets Development Grants available
- Client of the Month – Offroad Dreaming
- EFS Feature Event: Australian 2020 Entrepreneur FEST
- Entrepreneur of the Month – Rana Everett
- ASBAS Success Story – Michelle Taylor
- The ‘New Normal’ of Digital in the Territory
- Free digital webinars available to book